Saturday, October 31, 2009

for Nov. 1

Eulogy for Dadi

This April, when my friends heard me tell Dadi loudly on the phone to “pag tigum daghan kwarta Di ha?” for the big family trip they’d been planning for May in Iloilo, they were surprised that I could say that to him. One said, “your father is a judge, and you can say that to him?” and I said, “yes, because he is my father, and before he became Judge, he had always been my father, and nothing has changed that”.

Many people, when they see Dadi, only see the big imposing man and the big title before his name. Seldom do they see the father, husband and uncle who loves to bring us on very long road trips, visit relatives on fiestas, insists on spending big money on birthdays, dance ballroom with mami and faithfully watches Wowowee every day with her and Papa Igil.

Four years ago, his first 2 strokes devastated our  family for we were told he could die anytime within the year. It saddened all of us, that we all reacted differently to the changes. But Dadi, instead of wallowing in self-pity and retiring, courageoulsy worked hard, slowly and painfully like climbing the stairs to his courtroom, his speech,  and against doctor’s predictions, recovered more than was expected. He even went back to driving. But more than those victories, I also got to see him develop a deeper faith in God, when I’d see him holding a novena where he used to read newspapers only. I got to see this caring father who always thought about us. He never failed to text me “kumusta ka day?” every week. Sometimes, talking on the phone was hard with him, because if I started recalling an event or even just a joke or tease him that “asa man ko liwat?”, he’d suddenly cry; then he’d give the phone to mami.

These 4 years, dadi also had other changes. But most important of all, is that he became a more open human being, more caring, more generous. He knew that time was short, and he truly lived it the way he wanted, and without regrets. And so, even though I am sad, I am also thankful because he rested as we were praying at his bedside, and with that, in his death, he has become whole in Christ again.

-read last May 25, 2009, Perpetual Help Church

Your courage inspires me Dadi. Always.

 

 

GOD SET ME FREE

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free.

I'm following the path God laid for me.

I took His hand when I heard Him call.

I could not stay another day,

To laugh, to work, or play.

Tasks left undone must stay that way.

I found that peace at the close of day.

If my parting has left a void,

Then fill it with remembered joy.

A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss.

Ah yes, these things I, too, will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow

I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.

My life's been full, I've savored much

Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief.

Don't lengthen it now with undue grief.

Lift up your hearts and share with me.

God wanted me now; He set me free.

  (anonymous)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home