Saturday, May 24, 2008

Year 2: Pre-Block Activity: Something to write about or get an incomplete grade

In between overexercising my right fingers on the keyboard, gradually losing my hearing and eyesight from too much youtube, and moving out of bed only to eat,pee,bath, wash clothes and swim, I decided to post something I wrote last year right during the Honeymoon weeks of second year in school. I'm probably posting this a few days before my birthday for reasons I can't make out yet.

This is a PreBlock 9 (The Human Development) exercise for 2nd year students before going to the wards to start interviewing patients. These activities included learning skills in interviewing-listening,  history taking, or other interpersonal and intrapersonal skills in 2 very short weeks so we won't be bumbling heads when we meet the patients later on.

This activity below is one of the intrapersonal kind of stuff that was a bit of a shocker when announced in class at the end of a funny and insightful lecture by Dr H. I guess after seeing our sense of humor, Dr H wanted to check also on our insight by requiring us to write about..

 I COULD DIE TODAY
Instructions:
"Pick a simple daily activity, something you do everyday such as turning on the faucet, getting into your car, putting on your clothes, taking a drink of water.

Choose on of these activities. Then. for one week, whenever you persform one of these simple acts, say this to yourself: I could die today.

Stop for just a moment in the proces of this action and reflect on the truth of this simple phrase: I could die today.

What if this was true? It is, you know. Any (sic) of us could die any day at all. What if you were to die today?

What feelings arise when you say this? Which people come to mind? What activities? What dreams? What responsibilities do you feel liberated from?

Pay attention to what arises when you say this to yourself each day: I could die today.

Next week pick another activity, then another. This is a good exercise to increase mindfulness throughout the day."



Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At May 24, 2008 at 11:22 PM , Anonymous bridge jet said...

this is very interesting ate maia! =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home